The Churches of Buckingham, Beachampton, Whaddon, Thornborough, Thornton with Nash and Radclive cum Chackmore
|Radclive-cum-Chackmore: St John the Evangelist
As the name implies the parish is made up of two settlements; the hamlet of Radclive and, about 1.5 miles away, the village of Chackmore both are about 2 miles from Buckingham. Radclive, recorded in the Domesday Survey, is a conservation area in which there are 24 dwellings separated by fields from Chackmore where there are about 60 houses council housing, private dwellings and farms. The parish is very rural. The land is mainly worked by two farmers, one or two smallholdings and a nursery garden. The total population is about 200 (41 in Radclive). A large number of the adults from the parish travel out of the area to work.
The parish church of St John the Evangelist is in Radclive and is a Grade 1 listed building dating from about 1200. The chancel is C13th and the nave and tower from C14th. Significant restoration took place in 1902. There is a small graveyard which is still in use with a war memorial in need of restoration. The state of the building is as good as may be expected but some expenditure on internal plasterwork is needed.
The Priest with responsibility is also responsible for four other rural churches. Two services a month are held in the Church: Holy Communion at 8.30am on first Sundays and Evensong at 6pm on third Sundays. The Book of Common Prayer is used for all services. The average congregation is 18 including some who come from Buckingham. There is an organ but no choir. There are occasional services at 3pm and three at Chackmore School in January, June and October. These latter are held jointly with the Methodists.
The PCC is elected at an open AGM each year and meets 3-4 times a year, plus two Benefice Forums.
Links with Other Organisations
A C of E First School is located in Chackmore, now merging with Akeley Infants (C of E school). As a result of a sustained reputation and its rural location, the school is much in demand and had an excellent OFSTED report in 2005. Close links are maintained between church and school by the Priest taking an assembly every week in rotation with the Benefice Rector and the local Methodist Minister. The parish hall and village pub are in Chackmore.
Income and expenditure roughly balance with routine commitments including parish share which has been paid on time. There are two church accounts: Ministry and Building funds and they are professionally audited. There are 2-3 fund raising events each year Beetle Drive, Quiz Nights, Craft Fair etc.
Our main aim is to keep the church open and alive, functioning as an important focus of parish and village life. Recently the parish has become involved in the Benefice Lunches which rotate around Buckingham and two other villages.
Oxford Diocese |
Church of England |
Webmaster | © 2013